Wednesday, November 14, 2012

On the Road By Jack Kerouac


Jack Kerouac
Jack Kerouac was named one of the most important figures of the 20th century by LIFE Magazine.  He is known as one of the most famous natives of Lowell, Massachusetts—he was awarded a scholarship to Columbia University after graduation from Lowell High School in 1939. Neal Cassady first came into his life while he was attending University, they later traveled together across country—and his novel On the Road memorialized their travels together. His second novel On the Road was published in 1957 and it epitomized the “Beat generation”. The culture of the “Beat generation” consisted of drug experimentation, a rejection of materialism, and an uncensored means of expression and being.

In the 1960s On the road was regarded as a spontaneous and passionate celebration of the the country(U.S)—this novel became somewhat religious for the “beat generation”. The novel appealed to the “flower child-ness” of the time period and many young people absorbed the mindset of the "beat generation".

“I realized these were all the snapshots which our children would look at someday with wonder, thinking their parents had lived smooth, well-ordered lives and got up in the morning to walk proudly on the sidewalks of life, never dreaming the raggedy madness and riot of our actual lives, our actual night, the hell of it, the senseless emptiness.”

“I woke up as the sun was reddening; and that was the one distinct time in my life, the strangest moment of all, when I didn't know who I was - I was far away from home, haunted and tired with travel, in a cheap hotel room I'd never seen, hearing the hiss of steam outside, and the creak of the old wood of the hotel, and footsteps upstairs, and all the sad sounds, and I looked at the cracked high ceiling and really didn't know who I was for about fifteen strange seconds. I wasn't scared; I was just somebody else, some stranger, and my whole life was a haunted life, the life of a ghost.”


 This novel is a stream of Kerouac’s consciousness, it’s dizzying and exciting. The main character Sal Paradise is being led around the country by the complex Dean Moriarty, and they go from one coast to another throughout the four parts of the novel. The two live until they nearly fall apart, in the manor of true children of the “beat generation”.

“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”


Kerouac remains popular as has the novel On the Road, so much so that it has been adapted into a film starring Garrett Hedlund and Kristen Stewart that premiered at the Cannes Film Festival 2012. Though the novel is not a memoir of Jack Kerouac’s life, he did travel with Cassedy after he dropped out of college and joined the merchant marines. Kerouac’s depiction of the wild and crazy times he and Neal Cassedy had in On the Road—have inspired songs, movies, and people since its publication in 1957.   



2 comments:

  1. This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for years, and I feel guilty because it just sits there mocking me. Yet each time I pick the book up (this is the 5th time now) I can never make it past the 10th page. Maybe his writing is not for me, maybe my brain just doesn't want to focus on the font, maybe my book is just too pristine and not thrashed enough--I'm not quite sure. But your review reminds me that Kerouac is a widely known author, and I honestly should read the damn book once and for all--so here goes round six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit that I've never actually read "On the Road" even though I feel like just about every other person has read it. But after reading your review, I think I'm missing out on something good here. I'll be adding Kerouac to my summer reading list this year thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete